icon-leaf
Olde Towne Depot
The Olde Town Depot rests under the shade of trees lining the rails upon which trains currently pass and anchors the Olde Towne District to the east. Our story begins in the 1831 when the State of Mississippi granted a charter for the construction of thirty miles of rail connecting the growing towns of Clinton and Vicksburg, with movement of cotton to the River City being of primary importance to the economy of the area. Clinton’s historic record shows that multiple depot buildings were constructed and later replaced. In the spring of 1863, federal troops burned the first depot and destroyed nearby tracks. The July 1879 Hinds County Gazette reported that transportation by rail was active in Clinton with three trains passing through the town daily. Railroad agent and telegraph operator John Fox welcomed passengers arriving at a depot located at the north end of Jefferson Street.